teachers need supporting methods to help them convey information in a better and easier way to students. blackboard, chalkboard or any kind of board is one of these methods; the teacher is able to support his elucidation with writing on drawing on boards. to understand it more, you may compare a teacher who writes, explains and draws on the board and a teacher who only delivers information orally. the first kind of teacher can express and convey the meaning better and easier than the second. this is something that does not need any evidence. the first teacher of humanity, the prophet muhammad (peace be upon him), preceded the modern education with 14 centuries. he supported his teachings and sayings with drawings that approximated meanings to the minds of his listeners. it also helped them memorize his hadiths (prophetic sayings) such as:
1- narrated abdullah ibn mas'oud: the prophet (peace be upon him) drew a square and then drew a line in the middle of it and let it extend outside the square and then drew several small lines attached to that central line, and said, "this is the human being, and this, (the square) in his lease of life, encircles him from all sides (or has encircled him), and this (line), which is outside (the square), is his hope, and these small lines are the calamities and troubles (which may befall him), and if one misses him, another will snap (i.e. overtake) him, and if the other misses him, a third will snap (i.e. overtake) him." [al-bukhari]
2- narrated abdullah ibn mas'oud: allah’s apostle (peace be upon him) drew a line for them one day and then said “this is allah’s path”, then he drew several lines (branching off) to the right and to the left and said, “these are the paths (of misguidance) on each of which is a devil inviting people to follow it.” and then he recited (the verse) “verily this is my path, leading straight, so follow it. and do not follow the (other) paths for they will scatter you about from (allah’s) path.” [al-'an'aam: 153] [authenticated by ahmad shaakir in al-musnad vol.6 no. 4142]
we may add a few other points such as:
1) the teacher should pay attention to the clarity of the written or drawn content on the board.
2) he should be sure that all students can see the written or drawn content and remove any obstacles on the way.
3) the teacher should use different colors to attract the student’s attention.
1) supporting illustration with drawings and writings intensify the meaning greatly and approximate it to minds.
2) using drawings and writings on boards along with explanation all help in delivering the information quickly and concisely.
3) drawings and writings should be clear and obvious to all students, by removing any obstacles or barriers that might hinder the vision.