we will now allow the spirit of truth to lay the ghost of jewish and christian extremism, and put the records straight regarding their controversies about the messiah. the jews said that jesus (pbuh) was the illegitimate son of mary because he could not point a finger to a father. the christians for the same reason made him into a god and the "begotten" son of god. just one verse to debunk this lie!
o people of the book!
do not go to extremes in your religion: nor say of allah anything but the truth.
verily, christ1 jesus the son of mary was no more than a messenger of allah, and his word which he bestowed upon mary,
and a spirit proceeding from him:
so believe in allah and his messengers.
say not "trinity": desist: it will be better for you:
for your allah is one god:
glory be to him:
(far exalted is he) above having
a son. to him belongs all
things in the heavens and the earth.
and enough is allah as a disposer of affairs.
(sura nisaa) holy qur’an 4:171
1. christ: in the arabic text of the holy qur’an the word is masih, which is the same as the hebrew word messiah.
note 657/6 on the above verse
just as a foolish servant may go wrong by excess of zeal for his master, so in religion people's excesses may lead them to blasphemy or a spirit the very opposite of religion.
the jewish excesses in the direction of formalism, racialism, exclusiveness, and rejection of christ jesus have been denounced in many places in the holy qur'an.
here the christian attitude is condemned, which raises jesus to an equality with god; in some cases venerates mary almost to idolatry; attributes a physical son to god; and invents the doctrine of the trinity, opposed to all reason, which according to the athanasian creed, unless a man believes, he is doomed to hell for ever."
the attributes of christ are mentioned here:
1. that he was the son of a woman, mary, and therefore a man.
2. but an apostle, a man with a mission from god, and therefore entitled to honour.
3. a word bestowed on mary, for he was created by god's word "be" (kun) and he was. h.q. 3:59.
4. a spirit proceeding from god, but not god: his life and his mission were more limited than in the case of some other apostles, though we must pay equal honour to him as a man of god.
the doctrines of trinity, equality with god and sonship, are repudiated as blasphemies. god is independent of all needs and has no need of a son to manage his affairs."
abdullah yusuf ali