1. Mentioning the name of allah-in the name of allah, the most beneficent, the most merciful [saying: bismillah ar-rahman ar-rahim]
2. Washing the hands thrice.
3. [starting by] rinsing the mouth and nose before washing the face.
4. Rinsing the nose by one's left hand. this is because it is mentioned in the hadith that the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), "washed his hands thrice, then he rinsed his mouth and washed his nose with water by putting water in it and blowing it out, and he washed his face thrice…) [narrated by bukhari and muslim].
5. Exaggerating in rinsing one's mouth and nose if not fasting by moving water around the mouth and snuffing water to the end of one's nose. this is because of the hadith, "…and snuff with water well except when you are fasting". [sunnan at-tirmithi, abu dawoud, ibn maja and an-nasa'i].
6. Rinsing one's mouth and nose with the same handful of water. this is because of the hadith, "he [the prophet] put his hand [into the vessel containing water] rinsed his mouth and his nose". [bukhari and muslim].
7. Using tooth stick [ar. siwak] before rinsing one's mouth. the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him says, "had i not thought it difficult for my ummah, i would have commanded them to use the siwak (tooth-stick) before every prayer.''[narrated by ahmed and an-nasa'i].
8. Running one's wet finger through the beard upon washing the face. it is mentioned in the hadith that the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him used to run his wet finger through his beard while performing ablution. [at-tirmithi].
9. Wiping over one's head. this is performed as follows: passing one's wet hands over the head from front to back and so forth. as for obligatory wiping over one's head, it is to wipe over one's head in any way. it is narrated that the messenger of allah used to pass his hands over his head [in ablution] from the front to the back. [bukhari and muslim].
10. Running wet fingers between the fingers and toes. the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "perform your ablution perfectly and let water to run between the fingers [and toes]".
11. Washing the right [limb] before the left. it is narrated in the hadith that the messenger of allah (peace and blessings be upon him): "used to start from the right side on wearing shoes, combing his hair, cleaning or washing himself and on doing anything else" [bukhari and muslim].
12. Performing the actions thrice when washing the face, hands and foot.
13. Saying the two testifications of faith [ar.shahadatan] after finishing ablution. meaning, to says, "i testify that there is no god except allah and that muhammad is his messenger". it is narrated that the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, " if anyone amongst you performs the ablution perfectly and then says: i testify that there is no god but allah and that muhammad is the servant of allah and his messenger, the eight gates of paradise would be opened for him and he may enter by whichever of them he wishes". [muslim]
14. Performing ablution in one's house. the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "whoever purifies in his house and walks to the mosque to perform obligatory prayer, his steps are counted as one expiates a sin and the other raises his rank" [muslim]
15. Passing one's hand over the limb while or after washing.
16. Using little amount of water. the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to use little amount of water in ablution. [narrated by bukhari and muslim]
17. Washing above the limits of the four limbs [hands and foot]. it is narrated that abu huraira (may allah be pleased with him) performed ablution, he washed his arm up to the elbows and his feet up to the ankles and said: this is how the messenger of allah (peace and blessings be upon him) performed ablution". [muslim]
18. Performing two rak'ahs [eng. units of prayer] after ablution. the messenger of allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, " he who performs ablution like this of mine and then stood up (for prayer) and offered two rak'ahs of prayer without allowing his thoughts to be distracted, all his previous sins are expiated" [narrated by bukhari and muslim]
in a report by muslim through 'uqba ibn 'amir: "he will be rewarded by nothing except paradise".
19.Perfecting one's ablution: washing each part perfectly. muslims vary in times of performing ablution during the day, and everyone has to observe these sunnahs in every time he performs ablution.
Virtue of observing the above sunnahs:
the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "he who performed ablution perfectly, his sins would come out from his body, even coming out from under his nails." [muslim].