Under category : Refuting Misconceptions about Women in Islam
2568 2010/09/26 2023/03/22
some people claim that islam is unjust towards women because it entitles them to inherit half of what men get. in fact, those people only know one side of the truth.
first, the principle of women inheriting half the money is only applicable in 45 percent of the cases. in the other 55 percent, women inherit the same amount or sometimes even more. for example, a mother and a father each inherit the sixth of their son's property when they are not the only inheritors.
in addition, the laws of inheritance in islam are proportional to the duties of spending. indeed, a man in islam has the responsibility of supporting his family, his brother's children (when his brother dies), his parents (when they retire and do not have an income), his children from his previous marriage (if he has them) and his household, including his wife and children. a woman, on the other hand, does not bear this responsibility. she has the freedom to use the money she collects from her dowry or work as she pleases.
you might object here, saying that women today are working and helping their husbands pay the expenses, which entitles them to share equality with men. in fact, you should know that women's economic assistance to their husbands, which has become the norm today, is only an answer to the females’ wishes. islam does not oblige women to spend on their households. it is a free choice many women have themselves taken today to feel more liberated, so it does not entitle them to a bigger portion of the inheritance.